From one of my heroes, @umairh. For the past year I’ve been grappling with some version of his #7 rule, which I phrase as “epitaph, not resume.”
- Time will go by (a lot) faster than you think, want, or need.
- Most of the stuff you think will make you happy won’t.
- You’re capable not just of a tiny bit more than you believe. But of a huge amount more.
- The more yourself you are, the less timid you’ll be. The more haters will hate you. It’s a sign you’re living it right.
- Never waste a second working with people who don’t support you, or loving people who don’t love you.
- Any idiot can be cynical. Most are. You must always believe in love, life, and truth.
- The question you must answer isn’t how to get ahead. It’s how to go somewhere that matters. And have fun on the way.
- (Bonus rule: ) Learn to compromise. Learn never to settle.
- If your life doesn’t surprise you, it’s going to bore you. If your life never satisfies you, it’s going to stress you out. Balance.
I also enjoy that he opened this list with “Three Rules.” Overdeliver!